Staying Healthy in the Storm: Preparing for Hurricane Harvey
Category: Adult Primary Care, Family Medicine, Pediatrics
By India Ogazi, Content Writer
With Harvey heading our way, and the potential for flooding and heavy rain, remember your health care needs as you stock up on food and water. Follow this check list to make sure you stay healthy in the storm:
- Make sure you have enough prescription medication, in case you need to evacuate.
- Buy non-prescription medications such as pain relievers, antacids, anti-diarrhea medication or laxatives, as well.
- Have a first-aid kit to take care of minor bumps and bruises.
- Stock up on feminine supplies and personal hygiene items.
- Don’t forget baby: buy extra bottles, diapers, wipes and diaper rash cream.
- After the storm, get rid of any standing water to prevent and eliminate mosquitos.
- If your home floods, be sure to have it inspected for mold or mildew. Both can be damaging to your health.