Become a Legacy health Advocate
Legacy Community Health envisions a health care system in which all patients’ basic needs are met as a standard part of quality care. At Legacy, Health Advocates screen patients for appropriate access to food, transportation, housing, and financial supports to promote positive health outcomes. Patients then work with Health Advocates to ensure linkages to community resources.
This opportunity is a highly valuable experience where Health Advocates gain an understanding of the impact of unmet social needs on health, knowledge of Houston’s health care and resource landscape, as well as patient and provider interactions.
Health Advocate Requirements:
• Commit to a full-length school semester-long internship, June 2 – August 4
• Minimum 8 hours/week at one of the following Legacy clinics:
– Legacy Fifth Ward, Northline, Northside Irvington, Mapleridge, or Santa Clara
Click here to view the Health Advocate’s role and responsibilities.
This is an unpaid internship, however, some interns may qualify to be compensated through AmeriCorps via bi-weekly living stipends and education awards. AmeriCorps members may be eligible to receive health insurance, professional development training, and student loan deferment.
AmeriCorps Eligibility Requirements:
• Must be a US citizen or permanent resident
• Must have a high school diploma or GED
• Must not have been convicted of a violent felony
• Must not be required to register as a sex offender
Click here for more info about AmeriCorps benefits and requirements.
Or contact AmeriCorps Program Manager Ashley Harris at aharris@LegacyCommunityHealth.org.