Become a Legacy health Advocate
Legacy Community Health envisions a health care system in which all patients’ basic needs are met as a standard part of quality care. At Legacy, Health Advocates screen patients for appropriate access to food, transportation, housing and financial supports to promote positive health outcomes. Patients then work with Health Advocates to ensure linkages to community resources.
This opportunity is a highly valuable experience where Health Advocates gain understanding of the impact of unmet social needs on health, knowledge of Houston’s health care and resource landscape, as well as patient and provider interactions.
Health Advocate Requirements:
• Commit to a full-length school semester-long internship, September 10 – December 3
• Minimum 8 hours/week at one of the following Legacy clinics:
– Legacy Fifth Ward, Northline, Santa Clara or Mapleridge
This is an unpaid internship, however some interns may qualify to be compensated through AmeriCorps via bi-weekly living stipends and education awards. AmeriCorps members may be eligible to receive health insurance, professional development training and student loan deferment.
AmeriCorps Eligibility Requirements:
• Must be a US citizen or permanent resident
• Must have a high school diploma or GED
• Must not have been convicted of a violent felony
• Must not be required to register as a sex offender
Click here for more info about AmeriCorps benefits and requirements.
Or contact AmeriCorps Program Manager Ashley Harris at aharris@LegacyCommunityHealth.org.
Interested in becoming a Health Advocate but have questions?
Email us at HealthAdvocates@LegacyCommunityHealth.org
Look for “Health Advocate Student Intern” in Employment Listings