Use the guidelines below and from MyPlate to determine the steps you need to take to reach a healthy eating style:
- Choosing vegetables, fruits, lean protein and healthy fats as your primary foods and trying to decrease processed foods like chips, cookies, candies and sodas can make a big difference in your energy level and the way your body feels.
- Replace sodas and sugary drinks with water and “zero” calorie drinks Aim to eat a healthy breakfast in the morning so you are less likely to munch on unhealthy snacks later in the day.
- Aim for a healthy mix in the different types of food you consume which include fruits, vegetables and healthy fats (i.e. avocado, nuts, fish, full fat yogurt).
- Understand serving sizes that are right for you in order to help you control your portions. Use the MyPlate website to determine how much food you should eat based on your age, gender and activity level.
- When updating your eating habits, start with small changes to make the transition easier.
Legacy Community Health offers nutritional counseling services by our registered dietitians who can help you determine the foods and quantities that will help you meet your goals. Speak to a provider for more information about nutrition counseling.