Sign up for a Legacy Public Health Class
Category: Adult Primary Care, Advocacy, Diabetes, Family Medicine, Gender Health, Geriatrics, Health News, HIV/STD Screening & Treatment, LGBT, OB/GYN & Maternity, Pediatrics, Public Health
A patient who is educated about their health is the best advocate for their own care. That is why we work with individuals, health care providers and communities to improve health outcomes. We are able to accomplish this through our education classes at many of our clinics and at community locations across Southeast Texas.
Here are some of the classes we offer:
- Becoming a Mom classes helps soon-to-be moms learn about everything from prenatal care, to the importance of good nutrition while pregnant, as well as learning how to bathe, breastfeed and change your baby.
- Car seat safety classes are also available and covers the installation of car seats for your child. Participants receive a free car seat after completing the class.
- Diabetes classes help those diagnosed with the condition better manage the condition. Both classes and individualized sessions are available to patients. Free blood glucose screening is often available, and many patients can receive a glucometer at no cost.
- Legacy navigators conduct brief assessments with newly-diagnosed HIV patients, and help them make medical appointments. Patients are educated about the value of treatment for health and quality of life as well as for prevention.
- Our educators provide an overview of PrEP (a daily pill that reduces HIV infection rates by 90%), conduct initial screenings, and then help patients make the necessary medical appointments. The sessions provide adherence support to PrEP patients who need help remembering to take or refill medication, as well as to practice other risk reduction strategies.
- Weight management classes are new to Legacy’s curriculum. These classes focus on managing a patient’s BMI and weight loss concepts.
Classes are subject to change. For more information about Legacy’s public health classes and individualized sessions call our Legacy Public Health team at 832-548-5221.