Pride Month 2023 may almost be over, but the celebrations are just getting started – and Legacy’s proud to celebrate right alongside you.
By Barrett White
Pride is essential to the fabric of Legacy’s history. Pride Month is a month dedicated to uplifting LGBTQ+ voices, celebrating LGBTQ+ culture, and spotlighting LGBTQ+ rights – how far we’ve come and how much further there is to go. To observe Pride Month each June, the community drapes the city in rainbow with parades, live performances and theater, and memorials and celebrations of life for members of the community who lost their lives to HIV/AIDS and anti-LGBTQ+ violence. It’s a unique time of year that is equal parts activism and celebration that Legacy is proud to partner in each year.
Need to know where to find us this weekend? Legacy is participating in the following Pride Month events:
- Families with Pride: June 24, 2023 from 9AM to noon at Levi Park. More information can be found here.
- Pride Houston 365: June 24, 2023 from 7PM to 11PM in Downtown. More information can be found here.
And to wrap up the month, Legacy is observing National HIV Testing Day on June 27 across Houston and Beaumont, offering free HIV testing at the following locations:
- Gulfton Dashwood, 5420 Dashwood Drive
- Montrose, 1415 California Street
- Wellness Bar by Legacy, 120 Westheimer Rd., F
- Fifth Ward, 3811 Lyons Ave
- Northline, 5598-A1 North Freeway, Northtown Plaza
- Santa Clara, 5616 Lawndale St., Ste A108
- Southwest, 6441 High Star
- Central Beaumont, 450 North 11th St, Beaumont, TX
Legacy is also partnering with Greater Than AIDS to provide free HIV testing at two Houston-Area Walgreens locations on June 27 from 10AM to 7PM:
- Walgreens, 6730 Hillcroft Street
- Walgreens, 5202 Almeda Road
Legacy also offers free at-home HIV testing kits. The at-home kits offer fast results in the privacy of your own home, and come with the same patient navigation that you would receive if you had your test done in person, regardless of the result of the test. You can find more information on the at-home testing kits and how they work here.